Characters, words and lines not counted by Microsoft Office.
Microsoft Office products ignore some document text when producing
the document statistics available from Properties on the File menu of Office
applications. This can mean Microsoft Office gives a significantly lower word and character count than is actually the
case. Total Assistant does count the text Microsoft misses. See below for details of the
text Total Assistant counts that Microsoft ignores.
- Text boxes are often used and easily inserted from the Word Insert menu.
However, the text contained in text boxes is not counted by Microsoft.
- Text in callouts or text added to autoshapes such as rectangles and arrows is
ignored by Microsoft.
- Text in embedded Excel worksheets or other OLE objects.
- Text in header or footers and text in text boxes in headers and footers.
- Text in footnotes and endnotes.
- Text in grouped shapes.
Microsoft Word (HTML files)
- Various text is not included when opening an
HTML document with Word, such as page Title. In a test using 400
randomly selected HTML files, Total Assistant found 7.9% more words than
Microsoft Word. Particularly large errors occur with Word (over 50%)
when the HTML file contains forms with option value tags.
- PowerPoint does not include the text contained in Word tables in the document statistics. Word tables can be inserted into a presentation by choosing 'Microsoft Word Table' from the Picture submenu on the Insert
menu of PowerPoint.
- The text in embedded Word and Excel documents is also ignored by PowerPoint. Word documents may be embedded or linked into a presentation by choosing Object... on the Insert menu, or by copying text from Word to the clipboard and using 'Paste Special' in PowerPoint to paste in text as a Microsoft Word Document Object.
What our users think
Tarcisio Goes, Sworn Translator since 1977
Cindy Brown, Medical Transcriptionist
Bianca Clark. Director of Operations
Francesco Villani - Freelancer
Ariella Germinario-Lingenthal ITI, IoL
Beate Pause, B P Translations
Five stars from file transit